Meet the Candidate
Maurice Verrillo was born and raised in the northeast part of Rochester. He and his brother, Mark, grew up in a single parent, Italian American family having lost his father at a young age. His mother, Mary Verrillo, instilled in Maurice many values of faith, family, and love of community that he still embraces today.
Despite many financial challenges, Maurice Verrillo completed law school and chose to practice law in his hometown. Maurice Verrillo has been married since 2003 to Sonya, and has two sons, Anthony and Christopher. He now resides in the Town of Perinton.
Maurice Verrillo is active in his church holding the position of Elder and Co-Chair of the Church Life Committee. He is also a Charter Organization Representative for a local BSA troop with both of his sons participating in Boy Scouts.
Maurice Verrillo is running for Supreme Court because he believes he is highly qualified to be an effective and fair justice to all parties:
- Maurice Verrillo had been a lawyer for over thirty years and has represented many clients in the Supreme Court
- Maurice Verrillo has extensive knowledge and experience in the areas of civil, criminal, and matrimonial law, all concentrations for which a Supreme Court Justice should have knowledge and experience.
- Maurice Verrillo has ideas for improving and reforming the administration of justice:
- Installing a mentoring program for all young adults (Age 18 to 25) who are convicted of criminal offenses to assist them in completing their sentence successfully. This mentoring program would be modeled after the Big Brothers Big Sisters program.
- Providing greater support and supervision for those young adults convicted of a crime.
- Having a voluntary court sponsored re-entry program for those defendants serving time in prison as they transition back into society.
- Maurice Verrillo supports the use of alternates to civil trials, including mediation and alternatives to dispute resolution as a means to timely resolve all civil matters before him. Maurice Verrillo will also utilize his law clerk to assist in efficiently processing civil cases.
Maurice Verrillo is aware of the challenges which our society faces and how that affects the administration of justice. He is committed to seeing justice administered fairly to all regardless of their race, social status, sexual orientation, or financial circumstances.
All litigants are entitled to be treated with civility and respect and Maurice Verrillo will implement rules defining the expectations of the Court in its dealings with the parties and their counsel. After an extensive legal career, which has included managing his own private practice for the past eighteen years, Maurice Verrillo is looking forward to the new challenges and opportunities to serve as a Supreme Court justice. He humbly asks for your support on Election Day.